Amarachi Okafor (born 1977) is a Nigerian artist. Her works of art in the last five years have focused on culture, religion, history, gender relations and human sexuality. She has also used her art to comment on topical issues, like the spread of the Ebola virus in Africa. Okafor is part of a group of artists who came from the University of Nigeria, and who are exploring more experimental forms of art.
Okafor was born in Umuahia. In 2002 she attended a fine arts course at the University of Nigeria and in 2007, at the same University, held a master’s degree in sculpture. She currently works at the NGA (National Gallery of Art) in Abuja. In 2007 she won a Unesco-Aschberg artists’ residency. In 2014, she was a finalist in the 2014 National Art Competition, and won the Juror’s prize that year.
- 2010 Popopstudios Centre for the Visual Arts, Nassau, Bahamas
- 2009 Nkd (Nordisk Kunstnarsenter Dalsåsen), Norway
- 2007 Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder Trondheim, Norway
- 2004 Aina Onabolu Studios, National Gallery of Art Lagos, Nigeria
- 2009 “Seven Days Live Art”: exhibition of works of art in several places and in several days, Dalsasen, Dale i Sunnfjord, Norway.
- 2009 “Open Studio to work in Progress at Nkd Dalsasen, Dale i Sunnfjord, Norway.
- 2008 “Oriel Mostyn Gallery, Llandudno Wales West Africa”, UK
- 2007 “Europe at Financial Times, Babel Art Gallery, Trondheim. Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder
- 2007 Open Studio, Norway, Norway
- 2015 Biennale Jogja XIII,
- 2010 ‘Shared Perspectives’ RAVY (RENCONTRES D’ARTS VISUELS DE YAOUNDÉ) Festival. Yaoundé- Cameroun
- 2009 “The 1st International Festival of Contemporary Art of Algiers” (FIAC ) Musée National d’Art Moderne et Contemporain, The International Art Expo Nigeria, National Museum Onikan, Lagos.
- 2008 ARESUVA 2008: International Conference Centre Abuja, Nigeria
- 2008 Experimental frontiers: Society Through The Eyes of South African and Nigerian Artists. Vansa Western Cape Space, South Africa
- 2008 “Art 4” Channel Four Television Corporation (“Channel 4”). London, UK
- 2007 Guest Artists’ Open Studios, Lademoen Kunstnerverksteder Trondheim, Norway
- 2007 MFA Graduation Exhibition, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- 2007 “Make-Op/Zombification” Interdisciplinary Theatre Performance, Goethe-Institut Lagos, Nigeria
- 2006 “20th Century Art: a Story from Nigeria: An ‘Off Show” of Dak’Art, Cheikh Anta Diop University, Dakar-Senegal
- 2004 “Afrika Heritage”, Pan African Circle of Artists, Exhibition, Alliance Francaise, Enugu
- 2004 “Visual Orchestra”, Alliance Francaise, Enugu
- 2003 Heritage, Federal Capital Territory Council for Arts and Culture, FCT Abuja
- 2002 “Women in Art Exhibition”, National Gallery of Modern Art, Lagos mostra organizzata da Chinze Art Place, Abuja Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Abuja Heritage, FCT Council for Arts and Culture, FCT Abuja bachelor’s degree Award Exhibition, Fine Arts Department, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- 2002 “Artytude” Art Theatre, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- 2001 “Women in Art Exhibition”, FCT Council for Arts and Culture, FCT Abuja
- 2001 “Footprints”, Ana Gallery, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Wahyuni, Sri (13 November 2015). “Biennale Jogja: A Journey into the ‘Hacking Conflict‘“. The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 8 February 2016.